Need ideas of what to sell and start making money via Etsy?
Answer these questions:
1. What Have You Created That Was Praised? Have you ever made something (or purchased something) that other people loved? Maybe you knitted a pillow for your niece or designed something for a friend’s business, or maybe you’re complimented on your eye for handmade shoes or silk saris. This can be a good indication there’s a market for that product.
2. What Desperate Needs Can You Fill? All successful businesses have one thing in common, and that’s that they fill a need. This is how many sellers in your region started their shop. A potential customer wanted customized silk neckties for a groom at her wedding, and couldn’t find them. So a seller made them for that customer, and then filled that need for other brides. Think back to the last time you had difficulty finding something. Can you fill that need?
3. What Do You Enjoy Doing or Creating? You want to start an Etsy shop so you can express your creativity and be paid for it. So what are your hobbies? So start with what your hobbies are. If you love crafting, consider selling your favorite craft. If you love shopping for vintage dress, consider selling vintage dress.
If you’re reading some of our examples and thinking to yourself that they’re not good ideas because there’s too much competition, we’ve got news for you (don’t worry, it’s good news!):
Competition is a good thing. It means there’s a market for your product. If there were no competition, there’s a reason for that.
Making Sure Products Will Sell
We don’t want you to waste your time and effort by setting up an Etsy shop around an idea that won’t sell. And the only way to see if there’s a market for what you sell is by validating your idea.
So how do we do this? Through research of course.
- Swarovski Crystal Beads. You can sell your luxurious, unforgettable designs with Swarovski Crystal Beads for jewelry making.
- Custom Cookie Cutters. You can also sell unique and handmade custom cookie cutter in almost any design you can imagine.
- Vintage Supplies. You can also sell vintage clothing supplies, ribbons, paper and crafts and etc. which are good for customers who are looking for materials for their scrapbooking and DIY projects.
- Dollhouse miniatures, Collectibles. Do you like miniatures projects? You can go with dollhouse miniatures and collectibles items which are perfect for customers who have DIY Craft (food jewerly, charms, key chain, book mark, etc), dollhouse/miniature projects.
- Ribbons & Crafts. How do you like selling beautiful ribbons? A lot of dressmakers, jewelers, decorators, brides, crafters and artisans alike are looking for perfect ribbons for their creations!
- Stickers. If you are fun of cute stuffs, why not sell cute stickers? These items are good for scrapbooking, gift wrapping, sticking into planners and diaries to mark special occasions, and make perfect gifts which are often in demand for clients who like arts and crafts.
- Beads. Do you like beads and jewelry? Why not sell bead pieces which are perfect for your girls’ chunky necklaces and jewelry.
- Post IT Notes Sticky Memo. Do you like cute to collect sticky memo pads? Why not turn you hobby into business? Start your own sticky memo pad business today by listing your items at Etsy!
- Wedding guest book, wedding gift & wedding signs. You can create one of a kind wedding goods, personalised and custom wedding goods and wall art. Then list it on Etsy. Start with something your are passionate about and want to do and make it your edge in doing your hobby as a business.
You should also research your competition. See what they are selling. If they are doing well, there is a high chance you can too.